Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Orden Ogan: The Things We Believe In

I'm not an avid music video fan to begin with: while some of them are truly interesting and worth watching, most of them are simply too boring to appeal to me. I am rarely excited about new music video releases, but I encountered an exception on Monday: Orden Ogan released a video to their new single The Things We Believe In off of their new album which is to see the light at the end of October (or should I say, to see the darkness). Well, at least yours truly has been looking forward to the said album!

And yes, on Monday I found myself truly excited to see a new music video. Orden Ogan's We Are Pirates is probably the best music video I know – well yes, I am slightly biased because of pirates, but it is really interesting in its own right. Since the song is relatively long, the video is almost like a short movie with a lot of fascinating events. Now that Orden Ogan released something new, I didn't expect the theme to be so dear to me anymore, but I was looking forward to seeing another good quality music video anyway.

My first impression in brief: snow, ice, cold. Homeless people, miserable people, people in serious trouble. Musicians resurrecting those who didn't quite make it. Hm, I think I've seen this all before. But the song was good.

My second impression: strange tubes. Is that an oxygen mask? What's with that city in an apocalyptic state? Seeb, what are you wearing, cyberpunk gear? What's with that oxygen mask guy's gun, does it shoot laser rays? Who's that guy with a top hat and a torch? What, a strange portal to another dimension? Seeb, why are you glowing, are you sure you are alright?

But the song is good. It sounds just like Orden Ogan, with pompous choirs supporting the chorus. The song didn't quite blow my brains onto the wall, but it was enough to make my nose bleed and make me wait for the album. I guess the video wasn't so bad either... It's full of clichés and unoriginal ideas, but the strange additions make it seem peculiar enough to be worth watching again. The story remained vague to me, but then again... the song was good. And visually the video was fascinating enough, yet I tend to support music videos with strong storylines.

How about you see and hear for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment